Thursday 17 September 2009

How to Send and Receive Text Messages for Free - Gina Trapani - HarvardBusiness.org

How to Send and Receive Text Messages for Free - Gina Trapani - HarvardBusiness.org

Interesting update. I would like to clarify one thing: "Even though SMS text messages are only 160 characters and cost your cellphone carrier virtually nothing to transmit" in fact, reality is not that simple. SMS is using the 'signalling' channel within the GSM 04.08 standards, which in fact is the very precious channel on each 'cell' that is the 'nervous system' of setting up calls, transferring one mobile to next etc. Therefore, yes, you might be right on 'bandwidth' but in fact, SMS is a danger (if used too much within a cell area) that would dramatically decrease quality of service within the cell area. Case in point is, when you 'try to make a call', the mobile just keep hanging up by itself, have you experienced it? that is when there is traffic jam on the signalling channel. I know, as I devised a signalling channel planning system back when I was at BT Research lab.. don't ask me to do it again though, as I have forgotten it all (mostly). Rest I agree, from a users point of view, yes, free is great! ;-) @GarethWong

No comments: